Friday, August 20, 2010

Morning time

So far the new morning routine has been going okay. I have gotten to work 'on time' everyday, which is a miracle for me-with or without Ike. Today, I had all the odds stacked against me. 1) Ike was awake when I woke up at 5:50 and he was crying. Normally, I just leave him in his crib till I am done getting ready and he just sits there and talks to his toys and sings. Today he sounded like he was in pain. Against my better judgment I went in there to see if I could get him to go back to sleep. No deal. He was awake and ready to party. So I ended up getting ready with Ike. Bad plan normally as he steals my make-up and seems to run into me at the most inopportune times (i.e. straightener in hand, putting on mascara, touching my eye, etc..).

2) Sculley somehow broke one of her nails below the quick. They haven't been able to go on walks lately because of the oven like heat we are having so their nails are way longer than normal. I had to cut off her nail, as it was hanging by the top layer, with kitchen scissors. I was super scared. Sculley is very gentle, but sometime she will snap if she is in pain, just like anyone. And she is a big powerful dog.

3) Ike had 2 poops this morning. Both at times when I was in the middle of something.

4) I found Ike with a tube of toothpaste in his mouth, which is apparently toxic.

All of these things happened before 7 am. And guess what? None of it ended up being bad! Ike didn't scream and try and tackle me when I was trying to get ready. Sculley didn't snap at me and then run away from me and hide. I didn't run late because of the extra poops. And I didn't have to poison control over the toothpaste incident.

The only other morning that was equally as interesting was the one where I found Ike with 1) matches, 2) scissors, 3) trying to get to a butcher knife, and 4) with a pill off the floor.

They should say you "practice mothering" like you practice law or medicine. because every day is so different.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

wow! all that in one little morning!!!! and poor sculley! we've had that happen before and the whole thing scares me... from the bleeding to trying to deal with it.

Jenny said...

too funny about the wooden train set! hey, i guess even wood is just too flashy for Ike... the box is the best! love it! SUCH a cute kiddo you have :-)